Monday, December 5, 2011

Positive and Negative and Scale



There is something about the human mind that delights in interplay and being tricked. This gives artists some great advantages in design by playing with elements. The drawing above is actually 9-feet by 12-feet in size, based on a sketch I did in a journal I carried with me on my first trip to The Tor of Avalon near Glastonbury. I wanted a certain mythic feel to it, so I had the illustrators/background painters styles in mind, like the things done by Eyvind Earle. To take that from a 3-inch by 5-inch size sketch to a mural size drawing plays with the audience.

Below is a version on a 9-inch by 12-inch piece of Bristol board. To draw the wall size version I used house painting brushes, mostly 2-inch wide, and acrylic paint. I have had good experiences with Blick and Utrecht brand acrylic paints. The best grays are made by mixing two complementary colors, such as blue and orange. That makes for a natural gray, and to get a natural "black" mix burnt umber and blue. Stay away from phthalo blues, use cobalt if you can or an ultramarine not made from sulphur.




No comments:

Post a Comment